Prototypical operating session "proto ops" are done on both the HO standard gauge and narrow gauge layouts. Both use car cards and waybills for freight forwarding.
Proto ops sessions on the standard gauge layout are held on the first Friday evening of every month starting at 8:00pm with setup at 7:00pm. Be sure to check the CALENDAR page on this web site for current information. These sessions focus on moving freight using waybills in the car cards. Train movements use blue train cards and the occasional track warrant. Typically, proto ops sessions will have a trainmaster, dispatcher, three yardmasters, and six local and road engineers.
Most of the paperwork and associated files for these sessions can be found on this page. Training materials, presentations, and related information will be posted as it is developed.
Join the discussion on our YAHOO GROUP
Training & Certification
- BasicProto Ops- NMRA 2012 (PDF)(new4-16-2012)
- Certification for Operators (MS Word)(version 3-19-2008)
- Safety Briefing Outline
Waybills & Car Cards
- SMRHS Waybills (Excel file)(updated 4-16-2012)
- SMRHS Car Cards & Roster (Excel file)(updated 4-16-2012)
- Proto Ops "CORE" Car Request (MS Word)(new 4-16-2012)
- Worksheet for Proto Ops Cars (updated 5-31-2013)
Train Cards, Bad Orders, & more...
- Train Cards 2-sided (PDF)(updated 4-23-2012)
- Bad Order 2-sided (PDF) (updated 4-16-2012)
- Hold Order (PDF)
- Loco Card 2-sided (PDF)(updated 4-16-2012)
- Track Defect Cards
Resources for Proto Ops
- Industry Traffic and Capacity Worksheet
- Operations Call Board (Excel file)(updated 4-16-2012)
- Waybill Destination Schematic (PDF)
- R Street Sacramento Industries (updated 4-16-2012)
- WP Training Manual- R Street (1958)
- WP Training Manual- Oroville
- Oroville Track change.
Status of the Proto Ops Program "Proto Ops Blog"